[hackerspaces] Idea: things.hackerspaces.org now that Thingiverse is not ok anymore

Walter van Holst walter at revspace.nl
Sun Sep 23 18:35:33 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-23 18:01, Sparr wrote:

> Has anyone gotten an actual lawyer's opinion of the new TOS?

As mentioned in my blog post, I am a lawyer. Not an attorney, mind you
and not practicing in the USA either.

> I do not
> see that the new language is significantly different from the old
> language. The new TOS doesn't say they can use your designs to make
> new closed source hardware, they are still only allowed to use it to
> display it on their website.

No, it literally talks about "incorporate into other works, and
otherwise use your User Content", per section 3.2 of the Terms of Use.
As already quoted in my blog post. You could argue that the last bit of
that sentence "solely for the purposes of including your User Content in
the Site and Services" applies further than the sublicensing bit, but to
me it reads rather ambiguously and I wouldn't feel safe to say it
applies any further than the grant to sublicense. Not to say that the
old terms weren't ambiguous either, but since they limited themselves to
derivative works, it made life much easier because that is specifically
a copyright term. On top of that the assertion about transmission and
display in the old version read much broader.

And yes, natural languages are a pain, ambiguity-wise. But we have to
make do with them.

Regards,

  Walter