[hackerspaces] New Member Vetting

Al Jigong Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Tue Sep 18 01:45:22 CEST 2012

Ace Monster Toys allows people to begin paying dues and get full access (including an RFID fob for the door) as provisional members. At our quarterly membership meetings, we have a closed door vote about the provisional member and decide whether to offer them full membership or not. Normally, they need to have been a member for a month or two (I forget the time) before they are allowed to be voted on so they cannot have simply joined a week before the meeting. Non-members can be in the space anytime a member is there and for any listed events though. We don't close events to the public.

Al

--
Al Jigong Billings
http://www.openbuddha.com

On Monday, September 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Matt Joyce wrote:

> Nycresistor went with a pre proposal of a member followed by a vote.  A single dissenting vote would be enough to disallow membership.
> On Sep 17, 2012 3:13 PM, "Ben Brown" <ben at generik.ca (mailto:ben at generik.ca)> wrote:
> > We've got an interesting topic going on our own discuss list about strengthening membership vetting, spawning from a member's experience in another organization that's now considering police checks for applicants. Traditionally, we've had applicants show up to a few open nights before the board votes on their application. Members who have qualms about that applicant have 5 days to speak up before the application is considered. So far we've only rejected a single person (because they didn't attend enough open nights) but now thinking about it, most hackerspaces (including ours) entrust a significant amount of equipment to people who we've only had very limited contact. As we're quickly growing past our founding members, I'm wondering how other hackerspaces have adapted? A couple ideas being thrown around are police checks (which most members are against), and having a member sponsor a new applicant (who risks their own membership to support them). What process does your space use
and is it working/failing horribly? Cheers, Ben