[hackerspaces] How to Make a Makerspace workshops in February

Gui Cavalcanti gui at artisansasylum.com
Sat Oct 20 00:13:08 CEST 2012

Hi everyone!

My name is Gui Cavalcanti, and I'm the president and co-founder of
Artisan's Asylum up here in Boston. We're the space that hosts Stompy
the giant hexapod
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/projecthexapod/stompy-the-giant-rideable-walking-robot-0>
and a really awesome collection of other projects
<http://www.engadget.com/tag/artisans+asylum/>.

I wanted to let you all know that we're collaborating with MAKE to put
on an event called How to Make a Makerspace
<http://makeamakerspace.eventbrite.com/> in early February. Our goal
with this event is to give participants roadmaps and resources on how to
put together successful, sustainable spaces, and connect participants to
experts with makerspace experience in the legal, insurance, education,
and real estate fields for an intense series of question-and-answer
sessions. We'll be bringing in space founders from all over the country
to offer comparisons between the styles of spaces that work for
different environments. We'll also be bringing in vendors that are
gearing up to specifically offer products and services to makers, who
are specifically looking to connect to organizers and ask what they can
do to support the movement.

If you've ever had any questions about how to find the right building
for your space, how to approach insurance companies, what to do to get
your building up to code, how to get a bank loan, who to talk to in
local city government (who's on your side!), how to make sure your
community is using tools safely - this event is for you. We'll introduce
you to government officials, lawyers, real estate developers, and more
who can all help get you on the right track in your community. All
participants will get access to example membership agreements, insurance
summaries, tool training syllabi, budgets (for both startup and
long-term operation), non-profit Form 1023 applications, architectural
documents and more, in order to help each participant develop their own
without having to do it all from scratch.

In addition to all that, MAKE will be videotaping and taking notes on
all panels, presentations, and discussions, and hosting it all on a new
section of Makerspace.com. With any luck, future founders will be able
to access the site and learn everything they need to know to be dangerous!

We're looking for spaces that are just getting started (or groups that
want to start a space, but haven't pulled the trigger yet), and spaces
that currently exist but could use some help stabilizing their
operations. We're also specifically looking to broaden the pool of
participants to include K-12 schools, universities, libraries, and real
estate developers, among others.

I would encourage you all to participate if you and your space are in a
position to take advantage of the opportunity, and would ask that you do
me the favor of forwarding this to any groups that you think are looking
for this kind of help (or motivation to get started). I would really
appreciate help getting the word out!

Thanks all!

--
Gui Cavalcanti, President