[hackerspaces] Fwd: webpage infra
ben at generik.ca
Tue Oct 16 17:45:09 CEST 2012
Kwartzlab started with a Drupal site, but we moved to Wordpress +
MediaWiki a short time later, which has worked out great for us. Blog
posts, general information and board procedures are on the main site
while we use our wiki for assets, meeting minutes, projects & event
planning. Our events are all on Google Calendar, which not only has a
dozen good plugins for WP, but we also leverage it for our SpaceAPI
implementation to tell when the space is open to the public.
Our most-used WP plugins:
- Google Calendar Events (for our sidebar, our events page just embeds
the Google calendar)
- Jetpack by WordPress.com (provides great metrics on popular posts, etc).
- reCAPTCHA (only for non-user comments and new-user registration)
- Never Moderate Registered Users
- Feedburner plugin (Our RSS feeds are over there)
- User Photo (allows users to upload a photo for their blog profile page)
- WPaudio (converts links and tags to podcasts/mp3s into an audio player)
We also have some custom code to translate shortcodes and what not from
our old Drupal-created posts. We haven't really used WP for account
management, but one of our members is looking into the CiviCRM plugin
for some of that.
Hope that helps!
On 10/15/2012 11:29 PM, Richard Frankum wrote:
> Here at Tokyo Hackerspace, we're trying to improve our out-of-date
> website. We're going to migrate to a WordPress installation.
> Thing is, I'm not a site manager, so even though I'd like to help,
> it's relegated to the day-to-day work.
> Can anyone recommend a couple good plugins for a default WP install
> that would help the business of a hackerspace?
> Particularly useful would be an easily-integratable calendar (our
> current one only provides one month of data in its RSS) and perhaps
> something that makes account management easier.
> --Richard Frankum
> Discuss mailing list
> Discuss at lists.hackerspaces.org
More information about the Discuss