[hackerspaces] Fwd: webpage infra

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Tue Oct 16 17:45:09 CEST 2012

Kwartzlab started with a Drupal site, but we moved to Wordpress +
MediaWiki a short time later, which has worked out great for us. Blog
posts, general information and board procedures are on the main site
while we use our wiki for assets, meeting minutes, projects & event
planning. Our events are all on Google Calendar, which not only has a
dozen good plugins for WP, but we also leverage it for our SpaceAPI
implementation to tell when the space is open to the public.

Our most-used WP plugins:

- cForms
- Google Calendar Events (for our sidebar, our events page just embeds
the Google calendar)
- Jetpack by WordPress.com (provides great metrics on popular posts, etc).
- reCAPTCHA (only for non-user comments and new-user registration)
- Never Moderate Registered Users
- Feedburner plugin (Our RSS feeds are over there)
- User Photo (allows users to upload a photo for their blog profile page)
- WPaudio (converts links and tags to podcasts/mp3s into an audio player)

We also have some custom code to translate shortcodes and what not from
our old Drupal-created posts. We haven't really used WP for account
management, but one of our members is looking into the CiviCRM plugin
for some of that.

Hope that helps!
Ben