[hackerspaces] Help me make it happen for 'hackert0wn' on Indiegogo

Sam Ley sam.ley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:53:51 CEST 2012

Containers are meant to be outdoors, but only when storing things that can
get a little wet. They aren't waterproof, and they aren't intended to be
(which is one reason you ship items in them palletized).

Unfortunately most of the costs they have shown are for the containers
alone. For instance, Space Lab calls out a cost of $10k for 4 containers.
While that is about the cost of 4 8x8x20 Conex boxes in moderate condition,
it doesn't include the cost of moving them around, preparing them to be
used as a space, outfitting them with commercial style doors, adding
lighting, power and fire protection, etc. And since it is commercial
construction, you can't DIY it like you would at home - licensed
contractors have to do all that work. And don't get me started on excise
taxes for creating new occupy-able square footage in NYC.

Storage containers can make an interesting start to commercial building,
but need a LOT of work to get past even a very friendly building department
and fire marshal. They will need to be working with PEs and licensed
Architects just to get to square one. I'd also recommend talking in DETAIL
to people who've had major run-ins with building departments, such as NIMBY.

Sounds like too big of a bite to chew - can't bring myself to contribute.
I'd love to see them start with a 4 container expansion to an existing
building, done cleanly, permitted properly. Or maybe even a 1 container
project to make a "movable hackerspace" that could be transported and
dropped off anywhere. You'd avoid the enormous building department issues
since it wouldn't be a permanent structure, and could be a good way to get
used to some of the issues that would be faced with a larger site while
still resulting in a cool, usable thing.

-Sam