[hackerspaces] OpenStack Women's Outreach Program

Lisha Sterling lishevita at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:26:23 CET 2012

Hi Matt,

Can I suggest that besides just looking for young students to work on Open
Stack, you reach out to more mature women who are already developers? One
of the things about bringing more women into any kind of project is to
start out with some women who can serve as role models and mentors.
Experienced developers can do just that.

Try sending some recruiting emails to lists for groups like Women in
Technology http://www.womenintechnology.org/ . Try reaching out to women
who are already involved with open source projects. Get members of your
team to stand up at civic or humanitarian hackathons and explain what Open
Stack is about and how awesome your project is and how you need some women
mentors to join up and bring in the younger generation. The right pitch can
make a huge difference.

Good luck! As you might imagine, the cause of bringing more women in open
source is a topic near and dear to my heart, too. :)

- Lisha

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com> wrote:

> I was at our design summit in October.
>
> I took some photos of the problem that we have:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/openfly/8095080694/in/photostream
>
> Basically, there are not enough female developers in our community.
> We don't know why that is.  But we are trying to do some outreach, as
> are a few other open source software projects.
>
> If you know any young women in college or high school who are looking
> to establish themselves with a career in software engineering, this is
> a great opportunity to get some real resume fodder.  And in our field
> supply of viable candidates is massively outweighed by demand for them
> in available jobs.  So, there's that.
>
> Anyways.  If you know anyone pass it on.
>

> http://www.openstack.org/blog/2012/11/openstack-outreach-program-for-women-accepting-candidates/
>

> -Matt

http://www.alwayssababa.com/

"I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are
making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things,
learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world.
You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're
Doing Something. So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish
for myself.
Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's
ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good
enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or
family or life. Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it. Make your
mistakes, next year and forever." *~Neil Gaiman*