[hackerspaces] Member Storage

Doug Philips doug at hackpittsburgh.org
Mon Nov 5 23:27:46 CET 2012

On 11/5/12 3:40 PM, Jeff Myer wrote:
> I hadn't really thought about the possibility that this would
> practically encourage people to leave community tools with their
> projects when they put away their "work surface" but I think that it is
> a valid point.

That's my biggest concern. Taking tools out of circulation as well as
taking shop tools home when the project is done, deliberately or not.

> With regard to needing sides, I think that this
> absolutely is true as well however I don't think that needing sides is a
> deal breaker. I can envision the work surface as having 3 "sides" during
> use with a 4th side that slides in place on the front of the surface
> before putting it away. The height of the sides could also be a visual
> reminder of the height requirement for fitting into the rack/storage shelf.

Interesting, but perhaps hard to use.
I'm starting to think of a storage facility something like a oven, where
the sides (and back) are part of the storage facility. Not sure about
the front though.

> One of the real motivations for noodling out this solution was the fact
> that I wanted something that would allow for work in process to be left
> essentially in a "ready to continue" when it is put away. If I am in the
> middle of working on something and need to put it in a rubbermaid or
> similar container for storage I can assure you that I will knock off a
> wire, displace a connector, or cause some other problem that will cost
> me time when I go back to the project.

Agreed. I think that there are two different needs here, one to keep a
collection of stuff 'at the space' and other to keep 'a project in
progress from hampering other uses of the space'. I like the idea of an
oven rack for "half baked/unfinished" projects... Hmm....

-=Doug