[hackerspaces] Member Storage

Jeff Myer jmyer at cthackerspace.com
Mon Nov 5 18:03:38 CET 2012

This is something that I have done a great deal of thinking about but have
not yet implemented my best plan for a solution which I will share with you
now in hopes that you can actually do something with it.  This is not earth
shattering however I think it is a great solution for this exact problem.

Essentially my plan involves plywood (or other material) work surfaces that
members are assigned along with a rolling rack with many "slots" where the
work surfaces can be stored when not actively being worked on. The rolling
racks will be similar to the racks that commercial bakeries deliver bread
with.

The workflow is:

1. Member is assigned an empty "work surface"
2. Member takes work surface and sets on a table or bench, starts to work
on their project places materials, tools etc on the work surface.
3. Member looks up a the clock, realizes it is 3:00 am and they need to
leave to get at least an hour or two of sleep before work
4. Member takes work surface with all tools, materials etc still in place
on surface, picks it up and slide it in storage rack then goes home to get
some sleep.
5. Member wakes up 6 hours later, realizes that their job is less
interesting than the project that they left at the hackerspace, calls out
from work and returns to hackerspace.
6. Member goes to rack pulls out the work surface with all of their
materials and tools right where they left them, sets it down on a bench or
a table and goes back to working on project.
7 Repeat until project is done.

The 2 parameters that need to be figured out and adhered to are the foot
print (Length & Width) of the work surface and the max height that stuff
can be left on the work surface before being put away. These dimensions
will dictate the slot/shelf dimensions for the storage rack.

Hope this helps,

Jeff