[hackerspaces] Nullspace Labs on a CITY BUS!

Volatile Compound volatilecompound at gmail.com
Fri May 11 07:45:59 CEST 2012

In the spirit of completing hackery-related projects before conferences,
Nullspace Labs will be having its first annual party to celebrate the
many things it will be bringing to Defcon!  And what better place to do
that than on a Los Angeles Metro bus in what will almost certainly be
110-degree Fahrenheit Summer heat?  Pro-tip: there is no better place!

The plan:

Amass at 5152 Lankershim Boulevard in North Hollywood on Saturday, July
7th at noon.  You will know that this is the place by the giant banner
over the door that proudly proclaims, "INTERNET!"  We'll get good and
liquored-up here (BYOB or ask the proprietor for some; it's all the
same), then commence our indulgence in the phantasmagoria of travel to
exotic locations.

Just before 2pm, we will cross the street in an orderly and respectful
fashion to the Metro bus stop just south of Magnolia on Lankershim.  At
2.14pm the #183 bus shall be boarded, and, in the luxurious manner only
afforded by travel on Los Angeles' mass transit systems, ridden right
the way into Beautiful Downtown Burbank where we shall disembark at
Verdugo and 3rd streets, arriving approximately 18 minutes after departure.

At this point we shall enjoy a brief open-air interlude, during which
time all the aesthetic amenities the locality has to offer shall be
taken in.  These include (but are not limited to) concrete, traffic, and
heat.  It's also where we shall consume more alcohol whilst we wait for
the #94 bus to Downtown Los Angeles.  It is anticipated that this
masterful conveyance shall depart our location at 2.50pm, whisking the
intrepid traveller to the neo-futuristic environs of Downtown Los
Angeles.  Note that as this event is scheduled for July, it *will* be
the future, dammit.

Imagine if you will the world as it will be at approximately 3.41pm on
Saturday, the seventh of July, 2012.  Now imagine it as you alight,
inebriated, from the Chariot Of The Gods at the corner of Hill and
Olympic streets in Downtown Los Angeles.  The door opens and
air-conditioning gives way to the urban blast furnace that is the
Southland, gently wafting the blended aroma of sweat, travail, taco
trucks, indeterminate pavement stains, and hookers to your nostrils.
Your transsexual bus driver (direction of conversion unknown yet
oddly-intriguing) bids you adieu, and you proceed to the technological
wonderland that is Nullspace Labs.

Note that this is not a free event: you will need to bring the
not-inconsiderable sum of $3 with you for bus fare.  Exact change in
U.S. funds is required, and at present the public transportation
infrastructure in our fair megalopolis is not equipped to accept payment
in Bitcoin.

- skroo.