[hackerspaces] Repair Cafes - A great idea for hackerspaces

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Wed May 9 20:55:50 CEST 2012

I like the idea, but I think a slight modification of this into "we'll help you fix it yourself" rather than "we'll just fixit for you" would be in order. For our space at least, we already get too many people coming to us with projects like "I want to pay you to build X for me". That sounds nice, but all of us already have full time jobs and plenty of our own projects we'd like to work on. If someone wanted help fixing their own stuff, I'd hand them a screwdriver, tell them where to point it and help them use a volt-ohm meter to diagnose. They would learn (part of our mission), and in some cases they would likely resolve the problem too.

This reminds me of a sign in the back of a TV repair shop I used to work at: "It's $25 for me to fix it, $50 for you to watch, and $100 for you to fix it". That's not quite in the same spirit as this issue, but I always thought it was funny.

-dosman