[hackerspaces] Repair Cafes - A great idea for hackerspaces

Buddy Smith buddy.smith at ieee.org
Wed May 9 19:57:14 CEST 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/world/europe/amsterdam-tries-to-change-culture-with-repair-cafes.html?_r=1

When I saw this, I immediately thought that we should begin discussing it.

A snippet:

At Amsterdam’s first Repair Cafe, an event originally held in a
theater’s foyer, then in a rented room in a former hotel and now in a
community center a couple of times a month, people can bring in
whatever they want to have repaired, at no cost, by volunteers who
just like to fix things.

Conceived of as a way to help people reduce waste, the Repair Cafe
concept has taken off since its debut two and a half years ago. The
Repair Cafe Foundation has raised about $525,000 through a grant from
the Dutch government, support from foundations and small donations,
all of which pay for staffing, marketing and even a Repair Cafe bus.

--buddy