[hackerspaces] Branding of 'Makerspace'

Jerry Isdale isdale at gmail.com
Wed May 9 04:51:20 CEST 2012

Some folks (myself included) have posted concerns that the recent makerspace.com playbook (http://makerspace.com/2012/05/01/makerspace-playbook) reinforces a perception of a 'Makerspace' brand. Dale Dougherty sent me a private email that in part states:

"To be explicit, I have no intention to restrict use of the term makerspace. I want to do quite the opposite - promote its use. It is not limited to or restricted to the DARPA program.

I'm specifically using it in an educational context and believe it is a better name for use in that context than hackerspace. What I want to see and support is the growth of makerspaces and the development of education programs inside of them. "

I have updated and resubmitted my comment on the playbook page to include this.

Jerry Isdale
isdale at gmail.com