[hackerspaces] Do-ocracy at 140 members?

James Carlson james at schoolfactory.org
Thu Jul 12 18:10:51 CEST 2012

The challenge of the do-ocracy seems to center around the activities that
are necessary for the space to operate (members paying, cleaning, bills are
paid, utilities, maintenance of the space itself) vs the activities that
are creating in the space (building the electric car, painting the shed,
etc.)

We have staff who handle the former. For the latter we tell members our
space is a physical wiki they can edit, and any change is permitted as long
as it can be "reverted" in under 8 hours without prior discussion. (Ask
Permission Later.)

Our population is only half of PS1 and as we grow the speed of these edits
has slowed somewhat because members are more focused on their own projects
than on the community-affecting edits. Since our space is so huge, its
possible to just go somewhere else if you don't like what is happening
where you are.

In PS1's new space since its larger do you think this will be more or less
of a challenge?