[hackerspaces] Another registry?

Ron Bean makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com
Thu Feb 9 03:02:09 CET 2012

>It's always freaking the hell out of me to see how crazy the US is
about
>these things.

We're not thrilled about it either-- most of us would have benefitted
from access to a hackerspace at that age. But we have to live with it.

>And I consider teaching to be one of the, if
>not the most important goals of "hacking".

I consider "learning by doing" to be different from "teaching". We're
constantly teaching each other how to use the tools, and we give demos
of various things, but we don't have any formal curriculum, which we'd
need to have in order to be considered an educational group. In many
cases we don't know what we're going to learn until after we've learned
it.

I wouldn't want to spend so much time on formal teaching that we don't
have any time left for hacking.