[hackerspaces] first aid

Sam Ley sam.ley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:19:42 CET 2012

I would not recommend tourniquets - they are not generally safe for
stopping bleeding, and first responders now recommend using gauze pads with
direct pressure to stop bleeding, rather than tourniquetting which can
cause permanent damage. You can also get coagulant pads that work even
better, but are only recommended for people with some emergency medical
training.

I recommend going with a well equipped "contractor" type first aid kit for
a carpentry or other building site, like these (available from all over the
place):
http://www.first-aid-product.com/industrial/construction-first-aid-kits.htm

Then I'd upstock it a bit with things we go through more regularly:
- Individual packets of topical burn gel
- Many sizes of quality waterproof bandaids (including the knuckle and
fingertip shapes)
- Basic OTCs like Ibuprofen, Asprin, etc.

And finally, make sure someone checks it and restocks it occasionally - it
doesn't matter how nice it was when you bought it if it runs low on
something that is needed at a critical moment.

Also, whiskey.

-Sam