[hackerspaces] first aid

James Arlen myrcurial at thinkhaus.org
Thu Dec 27 21:05:38 CET 2012

I know it sounds kinda gory, but it's worth having a couple of sizes of
tourniquets -- amateurs are more likely to do completely daft things
with blades. Otherwise, you can likely stick with the OSHA guidance:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=9863&p_table=STANDARDS

The following list sets forth the minimally acceptable number and type
of first-aid supplies for first-aid kits required under paragraph (d)(2)
of the logging standard. The contents of the first-aid kit listed should
be adequate for small work sites, consisting of approximately two to
three employees. When larger operations or multiple operations are being
conducted at the same location, additional first-aid kits should be
provided at the work site or additional quantities of supplies should be
included in the first-aid kits:

1. Gauze pads (at least 4 x 4 inches).

2. Two large gauze pads (at least 8 x 10 inches).

3. Box adhesive bandages (band-aids).

4. One package gauze roller bandage at least 2 inches wide.

5. Two triangular bandages.

6. Wound cleaning agent such as sealed moistened towelettes.

7. Scissors.

8. At least one blanket.

9. Tweezers.

10. Adhesive tape.

11. Latex gloves.

12. Resuscitation equipment such as resuscitation bag, airway, or

pocket mask.

13. Two elastic wraps.

14. Splint.

15. Directions for requesting emergency assistance.

[59 FR 51672, Oct. 12, 1994; 60 FR 47022, Sept. 8, 1995]