[hackerspaces] tv show pitches

Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:04:12 CET 2012

> I'm curious, why some would be against it?
>
> Phil

Well, I've run across a few scenarios.

1. A big production wants to take over the whole place as a
"location," rearrange the furniture, etc. Of course the budget is
tight and they might not be able to pay much/etc.

2. Some folks see no upside to publicity, networking or reaching out
this way.  They see TV coverage as a a privacy intrusion. To be fair,
a few of us had bad experiences with "hacker" stories in the 90s and
early 2000s, so the suspicion of the media isn't unwarranted.

3. Some folks are just plain "blockers." Every group has them. If
someone wants to bring in a photographer to film, that's the day they
wanted to not be bothered all day. They will point out all of the
potential negatives and warn everyone that it's a bad idea and the
upside isn't guaranteed.  This is just life I guess.

Arclight