[hackerspaces] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Wed Apr 4 02:10:32 CEST 2012

Ultimately the discussion hinges on the introduction of a new bias
into what Make is attempting to do with Maker Faire, and how that
impacts us as participants in that community.

Yes Make as an entity has some given pre-existing biases.  They are
for profit.  They are targetting a demographic.  They want to achieve
certain goals.  Etc etc.

But the bias of good vs evil can't be described as some absolute moral
imperative.  That's dangerous.  Before we pick a name for the bias,
let's maybe define some criteria.  I think many people are taking
issue with Mitch's broadish generalization of the entirety of DARPA as
an entity.

Certainly that is a concern of mine.  But I feel the concern I have is
more focused on the bias that we're trying to introduce here.  Is it
about DARPA?  Is it about the military?  Or is it about opening a
dialogue on ethics, and consequences in engineering / science / math.

What is the criteria for this bias?  Is a bias in a public forum a net positive?

-matt