[hackerspaces] PROJECT: HackerHostel.com

robin robokow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 23:08:12 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Agent 5 <ag3nt5 at dc401.org> wrote:
> Robin,
> These are great structural examples, thank you. I'm glad to see they're
> being successfully driven. There's quite a lot of useful data here. I
> especially like http://crabgrass.riseuplabs.org/

Yes. Me too and I think it only needs some tweaks to make it work for
your purpose. And I think it would be great to work on this (though I
dislike the domain-name.com)

I am sure there are some people here on this list involved with its
development. Lorea I know for sure, you can check some stuff in
operation here: https://n-1.cc:443/

What these tools need to work in terms of hospitality is a
verification feature and something like a special
hospitality-mail-system, and ideally also something like public
comments, and I don't think all of that needs a lot of work.

This could also be an app that pulls your bewelcome data by the way
(which is GPL) and integrates it with those networks, and vica versa.

Though, what you're then really talking about is already something
that has a much wider scope...

>   What were the biggest challenges you had while running or starting a
> "shared-hospitality" house? Did you achieve a balance of security for both
> parties?

Tons of challenges. The first thing we did was establishing a culture
of getting rid of the boundaries between hosts and guests. In other
words, how quickly can a guest turn into a host?

Because you really want things to be self-managed, and to be less of a
burden to the main-host. It is like running any space really, how
quickly can you manage to make a newbie find their way?

One of the keys is that the house has an intimate sphere to it, and we
keep it more like a family of friends. People appreciate that and
integrate into it rather quickly.

We also keep a low-profile and most people come through word-of-mouth
and thus through friends. They are then told about the website: they
create a profile and fill the weirdest form they ever saw, by which we
can kind of tell what person we're dealing with.

We also ask them for their hospitality-network profile (whichever
service they use but we prefer for obvious reasons bewelcome.org) or
other public presence, which only some people don't have.

Overall though, I am a big hospitality-fan and think all spaces should
have space available for the ones that pass by. You could also firstly
focus on that: a module for each space to use instead of a whole new
social network.

Robin.