[hackerspaces] Unified Open Source / Open Development dashboard for projects

Jarkko Moilanen Jarkko.Moilanen at uta.fi
Mon Oct 10 19:19:07 CEST 2011

Quoting Chris Weiss <cweiss at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Jarkko Moilanen
> <Jarkko.Moilanen at uta.fi> wrote:
>> We (just a few devs and bunch of academics) have been cooking an idea of
>> unified open source / open development dashboard.
>>
>> Here's some more information about the idea:
>> http://blog.ossoil.com/2011/10/10/unified-universal-open-source-dashboard/
>
> After skimming the blog post, I'm thinking "you just described 98% of
> what SourceForge is", so how's this different than SourceForge, GNU
> Savanna, and Google Code?

I must admit that I'm not so familiar with Google products, personal
reasons, just avoiding those as much as possible. Not familiar with
the other services either. I have to take a look. Yet, I'm not sure
are all above mentioned open source, ie can I contribute to it. Is the
development of platform itself open? What I'm after is
community-driven development to achieve this platform. Ofc companies
might have interest to participate. One of those reasons might the
features that enable automatic (partial, not all inclusive) evaluation
of project.

The biggest difference is most likely that CORAL (system loosely
described in blog post) is not a code repository, it used metadata
from various source. People use a lot different repositories to store
and manage code and commits.

Again, I don't know if any of those gather information from any build
systems (apart from their own, if they have one). CORAL would include
OBS and alike as one source.

But as I said, I need to get familiar with other ready-made services
and make comparison. Thanks for the feedback and critique. After all,
this might just be another alternative for existing somewhat similar
solutions.

/Jarkko

  Jarkko Moilanen (+358 45 8877 150)
  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
  Blog: http://blog.ossoil.com/