[hackerspaces] will the fruits of our labors be used for, good or for evil?

Al Jigen Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Wed Nov 30 05:13:52 CET 2011

On 11/29/11 8:11 PM, ellrabin wrote:

> I don't get the luxury of choosing which customer my company decides
> to sell its components too.

We're not talking about that. Quit changing the subject. We're talking
about going to the DoD and asking for a grant from them (taking money
from them directly) for projects for your hackerspace.

  Not the same thing at all.

> Should I refuse to make a processor if the same one is used in GPS,
> dish network, scientific recon, and military satellites? There are
> only a very few chips available. For the most part civilian and
> military systems are the same. Shall we volunteer to reduce our
> personal conveniences and capabilities to limit their military
> potential? If you agree feel free to turn off the GPS on your phone.
>
> Another DoD project.

  Again with the conflation. Quit setting up this bullshit strawman. No
one is buying it.

  This is about you, personally, and your hackerspace going to the DoD
and asking them for money to fund projects. Nothing more, nothing less.
Stay focused on THAT discussion.

Al