[hackerspaces] will the fruits of our labors be used for, good or for evil?

Volatile Compound volatilecompound at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 06:35:55 CET 2011

On 11/29/11 8:13 PM, Al Jigen Billings wrote:
> On 11/29/11 8:11 PM, ellrabin wrote:
>>
>> I don't get the luxury of choosing which customer my company decides
>> to sell its components too.
>>

> We're not talking about that. Quit changing the subject. We're talking
> about going to the DoD and asking for a grant from them (taking money
> from them directly) for projects for your hackerspace.
>
> Not the same thing at all.

Nor does it matter: the hackerspace has no control over any funded
project once it's out the door.  Notice the amount of code developed
under the GPL, BSD, and other licences that governments (including their
defence agencies) use?  It's quite a lot, and whether or not the person
who wrote that code under its respective licence wished for it to be
used in those applications or not doesn't matter.

Further to that: if, as you assert, it's wrong to solicit donations from
the DoD (to use your example), then who else is it wrong to accept money
from?  General Electric does a ton of defence development, as do
Chrysler, Disney, Kellogg's, and others - and each of those companies in
one form or another has philanthropic interests.

Besides, who's to say that there aren't hostile organisations providing
funding to hackerspaces through shell companies?  Or intelligence
agencies, or any number of other could-bes?  Use your best judgement
when approaching or being approached for funding, and if it doesn't seem
right then don't take the offer.  At least with approaching the DoD you
know exactly who you're dealing with up front.

> Again with the conflation. Quit setting up this bullshit strawman. No
> one is buying it.

Speaking of bullshit, quit grinding your personal political axes on the
hackerspace stone wheel.  Seriously, your point seems to have little to
do with an actual problem and more to do with you having found an
opportunity to air your grievances with the military.

Don't want DoD funding in your hackerspace?  Fine.  Adopt a resolution,
by-law, or other aphorism to that effect and move on.  But cram the
friggin' proselytising about how evil it is do this with walnuts.

> This is about you, personally, and your hackerspace going to the DoD and
> asking them for money to fund projects. Nothing more, nothing less. Stay
> focused on THAT discussion.

Okay.  If a hackerspace can receive donations from the DoD, great.  The
DoD can remain as impartial in the goings-on of that hackerspace as any
other financial donor, but I'd probably give them a really bitchin'
banner in the space for when visitors are over because, quite frankly, I
like jet noise and things that go bang and they're pretty good at coming
up with them.

- skroo.