[hackerspaces] will the fruits of our labors be used for good or for evil?

Justis Peters justis.peters at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 03:46:20 CET 2011

One of my favorite benefits of open source technology is that it is
available globally and at equal cost to everyone. I tend to agree with
Matt that, upon encountering a new technology, people will think of
positive uses for it first instead of inventing ways to kill puppies (or
other hackers or people in general) with it.

If any military wants to fund research that will be shared with
everyone, then I think that is generally OK. My concern is when a
government gets involved in exercising its power over the spread of
information in order to maintain its own monopoly on power.

I offer as examples:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Export_of_cryptography_in_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall_of_China

I am also concerned that research funded by military interests is more
likely to get silenced or secreted away. At the very least, it can end
up protected by patents and licensing deals which make it inaccessible
to anyone besides military interests or very lucrative industries.

With those concerns laid on the table, I would like to specifically send
thanks to Matt Joyce for helping me to see how DARPA and DOD can
facilitate research that benefits everyone. Historically, I have turned
down jobs that have any connection to the military in any way. Due to
this thread, I am softening some of those views and I am curious to
learn more about what my tax dollars are doing to promote global benefit
from open source technology.

Kind regards,
Justis Peters