[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the, "makers" and the "fixers"

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Wed Nov 30 03:43:49 CET 2011

The only difference between a TITAN II and a falcon 9 is we don't expect
the falcon 9 to fail to hit it's target 30% of the time.

Seriously, if you think that anyone working on rocket design today thinks
there is even a chance that the DOD won't appropriate their work to more
efficiently move ordinance about, you are mistaken.  But people do it
anyway.  Not because they agree with war, or weapons of mass destruction
existing.  But because they can't stop people from misappropriating the
technology they create once they gift it to the world.  Von Braun only got
started in rocket design for the Nazi's because of the work of amateur
rocket enthusiasts in the US.  But I guarantee you most of those people
don't wake up thinking "oh god what have I done."  They wake up thinking of
mars, and europa, and asteroids.  At some point you need to make a choice
to believe in the fundamental decency of mankind or to give up on ever
believing the world can be a better place without destroying itself in the
process.

I say we bet it all on us being awesome.  Cause hell...   we are.