[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the, "makers" and the "fixers"

Volatile Compound volatilecompound at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 02:18:04 CET 2011

On 11/29/11 2:50 PM, Will Bradley wrote:
> I'd like to see the hackerspace community steer clear of military stuff,
> personally.

Dammit.  And we were on target for five megawatts by mid-May, too! ;)

> If we let ourselves be involved in helping our nations'
> militaries, it's only a matter of time before the members of one
> hackerspace are responsible for the death of a member in another
> hackerspace. I'd like to think we can transcend that and work towards
> helping people do good/useful things.

Would you also suggest prohibiting active, reserve, or retired military
personnel from attending any hackerspace-related function or event?
After all, there's a chance that whatever they learn or do at the
hackerspace may end up making its way back into military circles and
resulting in someone's death.

What if someone works in, say, the small arms industry?  Should they
also be prohibited from attending?  Should any class or event in which
something potentially-lethal (such as firearms, electricity, or certain
chemical substances) is being discussed be considered off-limits?

Sorry, but this is something that I just don't see as a problem.  While
I wouldn't want to see co-opting of hackerspaces by any governmental
agency or organ, I also wouldn't want to see that happening through
private industry ("This hackerspace brought to you by Carl's Jr.  Carl's
Jr.: F*** you, I'm hacking.") or disproportionate control from a private
individual within the hackerspace.

- skroo.