[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

Ron Bean makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com
Tue Nov 29 14:56:37 CET 2011

B F <bakmthiscl at gmail.com> writes:

>By using the term "hacker" you drive people away without ever getting
>a chance at recruiting them.

I don't think that's true anymore (if it ever was-- maybe 20 years
ago?).

Rather than looking at the mainstream media (which often just parrot
each other), look at places like Adafruit, Sparkfun, Seeedstudio, etc,
and see how they use the word. Those are all successful businesses.

We call ourselves a "Makerspace", but I don't think it's a big issue.