[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

Georges Kesseler georgeskesseler at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 11:41:38 CET 2011

Hacker is internationally used, whereas maker is not really well known outside of english speaking world.

> In the meantime, some of use will persist in using other terms, like
> "maker" or "fixer", so as not to drive people away before

In german, a the word fixer is commonly used to describe a drug addict. There you replace one word by another word without getting into the good world.

We use a flyer as explanation. Works quite well.
http://wiki.hackerspace.lu/wiki/File:Flyer4_outside_final_3.png
http://wiki.hackerspace.lu/wiki/File:Flyer4_inside.png
Also the local press starts to know us and we get regular visits on various subjects.

Georges