[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

Jordan Miller jrdnmlr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 17:34:48 CET 2011

we've always had huge debates about this in our local space. I'm definitely 100% FOR changing the name to makerspace. I already do this in public and when i tell people where i'm going: my local makerspace FTW.

the media have made up their minds, and self-defined hacker groups like Anonymous that are infiltrating and attacking others also add to the confusion. no one takes the distinction between hacker and cracker. Thus, in the media's eyes and in the public's, they are synonymous.

jordan