[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

Ron Bean makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com
Mon Nov 28 00:42:02 CET 2011

>we've always had huge debates about this in our local space. I'm
>definitely 100% FOR changing the name to makerspace.

I don't know how other spaces have evolved, but I have the impression
that the early hackerspaces were very programmer-oriented, and mostly
consisted of a lot of guys working on their laptops.

We call ourselves a "makerspace", and if you stop in on a random day,
you're more likely to see someone welding or nailing something together
out of wood, or working on an electric car. We do etch circuit boards
and we talk about "hacking" various things, but electronics is just a
small part of what we do these days. I think the name "hacker" often
includes those other things, and I don't object to using it that way.
But we tend to follow the lead of "Make" magazine more than "2600".