[hackerspaces] Removing non-hackerspaces from the hackerspaces.org list?

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Fri May 6 13:34:33 CEST 2011

I just wanted to say, of all ideas I like this one. I have no interest
in defining a hackerspace as a space for and by hackers. Perhaps an
office rental for hacker isn't a hackerspace, but perhaps it can be. I'd
rather judge a place by it's reviews then by it's 'definition'.

On 2011-05-06 13:12, Koen Martens wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 09:16:32AM -0700, john arclight wrote:
>> It seems like reviews work pretty well on sites like Yelp that list
>> restaurants. Give people the info and decide for youself.
>> Example:
>> "Butch's Coffee Shop - 3 reviews: While they do serve coffee, it's mostly a
>> leather bar where BDSM enthusiasts meet. Lattes half off on Mondays. 3/5
>> stars"
>> Etc.
>
> Mr. Arclight, you once again resolve a conundrum with absolute genius!
>
> Seriously, no trolling intended. From time to time this discussion of
> 'what is a hackerspace' come up on this list, with everyone trying
> to promote their arbitrary definition. Eg, 'renting an office space'
> is apparently something that disqualifies you as a hackerspace in
> some eyes. Others say its is community and tech. At some point I have
> even seen a manifest drafted that came across as a normative
> document to decide once and for all how to give out the official
> hackerspaces.org 'seal of approval'.
>
> Well, i don't care much of these definitions. It's all in the eye of
> the beholder, in my humble opinion. Yes, I myself have once thought
> about removing spaces from the list. But I never did, for one because
> I never wanted to decide what is a hackerspace and what not.
>
> I'm all for this review thing Arclight proposes, as it places what
> the eye of the beholder sees in the public sphere. Although I hope
> we can all be adult enough about it that we don't diss other spaces
> with misguided negativity.
>
> Anyway, when I was touring US spaces together with Flyko we discussed
> this. We wanted to write something of a 'hotel guide' for hackerspaces,
> since we were visiting and sometimes sleeping at so much hackerspaces.
>
> "23bshop is nicely situatied in sunny Fullerton, CA. Its unassuming
> storefront hides a wealth of machinery and equipment. If you have
> car-troubles, you can rest assured that these people can help you fix
> it and get you back on the road.
>
> The cozy loft offers a place to reclude and spend a quiet night. There
> is no air-conditioning but the space can be ventilated. Sanitary
> conditions are well enough, there is a toilet and running water. Only
> cold water. You might experience some issues with the alarm system,
> so make sure you know where they keep their wirecutters.
>
> With a laundry within walking distances (European standard) and a
> coffee-shop serving an assortment of breakfast wraps, juice,
> smoothies and coffee, 23b shop is the place in LA for the
> hungry traveller. Good people with a sense of hopsitality."
>
> - gmc
>

>> Arclight

>>> I simply don't think someone renting office space (being extra cynical
>>> here) is a hacker space. It's not member owned and operated, it is
>>> commercially founded and for profit.
>>>
>>> The problem is that now, with 3 different places listed in Atlanta, I
> [...]

GPG-Key: 4096R/FCF154AE 2008-10-19 [expires: 2012-10-18]
Key fingerprint: 0506 976E 2346 53B4 A628  EC33 E23D 16EE FCF1 54AE
Key URL: https://hosting.puscii.nl/~webmind/webmind.asc