[hackerspaces] Removing non-hackerspaces from the hackerspaces.org list?

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Fri May 6 13:12:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 09:16:32AM -0700, john arclight wrote:
> It seems like reviews work pretty well on sites like Yelp that list
> restaurants. Give people the info and decide for youself.
> Example:
> "Butch's Coffee Shop - 3 reviews: While they do serve coffee, it's mostly a
> leather bar where BDSM enthusiasts meet. Lattes half off on Mondays. 3/5
> stars"
> Etc.

Mr. Arclight, you once again resolve a conundrum with absolute genius!

Seriously, no trolling intended. From time to time this discussion of
'what is a hackerspace' come up on this list, with everyone trying
to promote their arbitrary definition. Eg, 'renting an office space'
is apparently something that disqualifies you as a hackerspace in
some eyes. Others say its is community and tech. At some point I have
even seen a manifest drafted that came across as a normative
document to decide once and for all how to give out the official
hackerspaces.org 'seal of approval'.

Well, i don't care much of these definitions. It's all in the eye of
the beholder, in my humble opinion. Yes, I myself have once thought
about removing spaces from the list. But I never did, for one because
I never wanted to decide what is a hackerspace and what not.

I'm all for this review thing Arclight proposes, as it places what
the eye of the beholder sees in the public sphere. Although I hope
we can all be adult enough about it that we don't diss other spaces
with misguided negativity.

Anyway, when I was touring US spaces together with Flyko we discussed
this. We wanted to write something of a 'hotel guide' for hackerspaces,
since we were visiting and sometimes sleeping at so much hackerspaces.

"23bshop is nicely situatied in sunny Fullerton, CA. Its unassuming
storefront hides a wealth of machinery and equipment. If you have
car-troubles, you can rest assured that these people can help you fix
it and get you back on the road.

The cozy loft offers a place to reclude and spend a quiet night. There
is no air-conditioning but the space can be ventilated. Sanitary
conditions are well enough, there is a toilet and running water. Only
cold water. You might experience some issues with the alarm system,
so make sure you know where they keep their wirecutters.

With a laundry within walking distances (European standard) and a
coffee-shop serving an assortment of breakfast wraps, juice,
smoothies and coffee, 23b shop is the place in LA for the
hungry traveller. Good people with a sense of hopsitality."

- gmc