[hackerspaces] Removing non-hackerspaces from the hackerspaces.org list?

Russ Garrett russ at garrett.co.uk
Thu May 5 18:56:44 CEST 2011

On 5 May 2011 17:23, Rhys Rhaven <rhys at rhavenindustrys.com> wrote:
> Saying members run is a very poor definition. You can go with legal
> status, for profit vs not-for-profit.

There are plenty of for-profit hackerspaces which are definitely hackerspaces.

> We for example are more and more
> appreciating being run by an elected Board of Directors. Simply because
> the members want to show up, build things, talk and socialize and thats
> it. They don't want to bother with the day to day running of the space.

We're the same. I would classify it as members-run if the members have
the capability to elect the board of directors.

The point is that members have a hand in the running of the space, and
aren't just customers.

--
Russ Garrett
russ at garrett.co.uk