[hackerspaces] Removing non-hackerspaces from the hackerspaces.org list?

Buddy Smith buddy.smith at ieee.org
Thu May 5 18:06:33 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Spike <spike at wolfplex.org> wrote:

> Hu hu, according http://www.ignitionalley.com/faq it's exactly how
> Ignition Alley is described: #community and #tech
>
> So, Buddy, according the Yves definition, "in any sense of the word"
> becomes "in every sense of the definition"...
>
> Good luck to get a good definition.
>
> On another hand, every people reading the page could decide by himself
> if it's or not an hackerspace according his own expectations. Clean
> the list isn't an huge priority.

I simply don't think someone renting office space (being extra cynical
here) is a hacker space. It's not member owned and operated, it is
commercially founded and for profit.

The problem is that now, with 3 different places listed in Atlanta, I
fear that it's going to continually expand to the point that someone
actually looking for a hackerspace here won't be able to tell what's
what.

And yes, I believe Freeside is the only ACTUAL hackerspace in atlanta.
I hope that we have more one day, and I welcome it, but Ignition Alley
and other comercial coworking spaces should not be in the hackerspaces
list.

--buddy