[hackerspaces] Do your spaces have a theft problem? How do you deal with it?

John Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:29:03 CEST 2011

I think we need to make a distinction between outside threats (hacker
spaces usually aren't situated in the nicest areas) and being too
paranoid about each other. We have a methadone clinic down the street
from our space, and also have a higher than average number of addicts
in the neighborhood.  Our security systems don't really need to
protect against other hackers hacking our RFID cards, but more against
someone putting a brick through the window and trying to make off with
a computer.

Most businesses here have an alarm, but monitoring usually costs
$10-25/month, plus the always-rising cost of a land line.  We've
already built a monitoring script for the Open Access Control that
works great running on a Linux PC. The next step is to port it over to
a Sheevaplug computer for very low power consumption and heat
generation when it's locked in a cabinet.

If someone wants a "cheap and dirty" Internet security monitoring
solution, we used to have an old PC with a parallel port and a Linux
app that could monitor pin state changes and send e-mail or other
alerts.  I like msmtp for command-line email (even works with gmail)
and SMS alerting.

Arclight