[hackerspaces] Do your spaces have a theft problem? How do you deal with it?

Jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Fri Jul 29 19:03:18 CEST 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Don Ankney wrote:

>    Of course other places get robbed. But should a squat have a
>    realistic expectation of exclusivity in the use of a space and
>    its contents?

i've been willingly leaving asides this discussion political concerns
regarding the systematic emptiness of private property in capitalist
systems, for instance evoked by this recent initiative in NYC
http://www.596acres.org/lot_in_your_life.pdf
these are concerns that motivated many of us to squat not just for a
urban farm, but for any social activity like an hackerspace for
instance.

the problem of exclusivity applies also to "non-squatted" spaces,
at least this is my experience and i guess also that of who wrote
hackerspace patterns.

as webmind argues, you can squat a place with your crew and then
defending it from "lawful" intervention might as well serve the
purpose of defending it for burglary.

the fact that you are squatting a place doesn't means that you are
running a social service for sociopathic behaviour (to the contrary,
to do it properly you'll need to team up with well capable people),
yet it holds true that people squatting are inclined towards inclusion
of those who are marginalised by capitalism.

squatting is a critical approach to private property and its nurtured
by social cohesion, apart from that all problematics applying to a
rented space will apply to it and vice-versa.

ciao

--
jaromil,  dyne.org developer,  http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39