[hackerspaces] Google calendar FLOSS alternatives ?

k. kloschi at subsignal.org
Wed Jan 19 12:25:53 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 12:09 +0100, Guyzmo wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     in the process of installing the  tools  of  a  new  hackerspace  in
> Paris, France (The Loop, http://leloop.org), we're in  need  of  a  good
> shared  calendar  application,  in  order  to  manage  and  share  daily
> presence.
>
>     After trying out several calendars  applications,  I  found  nothing
> that could be a useable web calendar. I've tested phpicalendar,  but  it
> does not enables one to edit through the web interface, monket, but  the
> interface is really too basic, bedework is just too heavy for our  512MB
> of ram vserver, and some others...
>
>     Because we're self-managed, from our hosting to the  space  we  use,
> we'd like to have all our systems out of  the  'cloud',  and  thus,  not
> relying on applications ran by google.
>
>     How do you manage the calendar sharing problem in other hackerspaces ?
> Is everybody relying on google's calendar ?

we - sublab.org - are still without a stable calendaring for all
purposes, though not depending on google as well :) ..

but calendarserver.org is a powerful calendaring solution, on my todo is
to see if that is LDAP capable, so users can have personal calendards as
well. problem so far is a beautified web represantation of certain
calendars, like public events and upcoming meetings and such.

just my 2 cents,
.k