[hackerspaces] A New Hacker Has Joined Your Party!

Sam Ley sam.ley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 04:39:58 CET 2011

I'm just glad that there are enough hacker/maker/artist/whateverthehell
spaces out there than we can actually have a discussion about the
differences in mission between them. It used to be that everyone who "had a
warehouse" was all in the same bucket - in practice, the community is filled
with individuals and communities that are fiercely independent, and defy
classification. In all my discussions with other communities, I haven't run
across two that have the same mission, model, membership profile, etc.

We will be holding cage matches here in Boulder, CO between the Phoenix
Asylum (maker/artist space) and Solid State Depot (hacker space), finally
bringing the biggest missing element to the community - bloodsport. ;)

-Sam (representing the Phoenix Asylum)