[hackerspaces] A New Hacker Has Joined Your Party!

Ron Bean bucketworks at rbean.users.panix.com
Fri Jan 14 13:22:38 CET 2011

Matt Joyce <matt at nycresistor.com> writes:

>Ron, I'd say that while NYCResistor seems largely "maker" space.  They house
>a pretty close to equal distribution of hackers ( maybe not infosec but soft
>engineers ) makers and crafters.  In that regard... they are a single org.
>And while balancing concerns between the three is hard, the point is not the
>capabilities of the space, but the community it fosters.  Cross pollination
>is a good thing.

We also have a lot of electronics guys, and I think we'll have a good
mix eventually. My concern at this point is finding enough "core"
members to pay the rent (which we don't have yet). I think we need to
concentrate on that now, and think about other activities later. My
point was that a "makerspace" needs a larger core than a "hackerspace"
to get started, because it requires more space (=$).