[hackerspaces] Snap - A system snapshotter for Fedora/Ubuntu/Windows/etc (shameless self promotion)

Mo Morsi mo at morsi.org
Fri Dec 2 12:17:55 CET 2011

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Felicitus wrote:
>> Snap [1] is a cross-platform system snapshot and restoration utility
>> which uses the underlying package management system to take snapshots of
>> packages installed as well as files modified outside of the package
>> management system.
> Sounds pretty cool! However, can it also be used in a non-cloudish way?
> Due to my high amount of computers, I find myself re-installing stuff a
> few times a year. I basically need the same set of software on each
> computer - when I'm trying out new distributions, it would be stupid to
> create install scripts prior installation. So I'm looking for a way to
> define a basic set of applications which will then be installed on each
> reinstall. Your tool sounds as if it could do something like that.
>
> Thanks for any information,
> Felicitus

Absolutely! Snap is a general system snapshotter and restoration tool.
You can use it to setup a system just the way you would like with all
repos, packages, and files, then take a snapshot and restore it on any
system of your choosing (whether physical or virtual, eg on a
desktop/laptop or on a virtual machine or cloud instance).

This applies to any deb based system (such as debian, ubuntu, or mint)
and rpm based system (such as fedora, rhel, centos, or suse) and windows
systems. I would like to add Mac support at some point, but first I'd
need a Mac to develop on! (would love to accept patches adding Mac
support from anyone who wants to get involved in an open source project!)

If you have any questions, issues, etc whatsoever, feel free to ping me
anytime either via email or irc (mmorsi on #freenode). The next
iteration of Snap! development is already underways, with many more cool
features being implemented. Also if anyone has any ideas as to how to
improve snap, I'd be more than happy to hear your thoughts and/or accept
patches. See the project's github [1] page and project page [2] for more
info.

Take care,
    -Mo

[1] https://github.com/movitto/snap