[hackerspaces] Essen is almost there

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Fri Apr 29 14:37:16 CEST 2011

  Hi!

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 12:45:51PM +0200, Kai Blöcker wrote:
> We've been meeting as a Chaostreff for almost two years now and always
> had the ambition to build our own hackerspace. Unfortunately it wasn't
> until last year that we had enough people to really kick it off. So we
> founded a club called "foobar" (seriously) in Sep '10 and got
> incorporated earlier this month as "foobar e.V.". We have 18 members
> right now, with some others interested, and two spaces we are
> considering to rent, both have over 100m² (1076ft²).

  That's awesome!

> But with the number of members we have right now, we still couldn't make
> ends meet, as a lot of them are students who don't have a big budget to
> spend. So if any of you had ideas where to get additional funding, that
> would be great.

  Well, another option is to make do with the funding you do have
now. ;-) How expensive would be the rent of the two spaces you are
considering? If it's still around the average price in your area,
perhaps do not dive in so fast. I don't know how long ago have you
started actively looking for a place, but you should surely find some
place that's perhaps a bit shabbier but much below the usual rent, if
you look around long enough - at least three or four months (that's how
long it took for us in Prague to find a place, and almost right until
we've found one it seemed there would be no chance we would).

--
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis