[hackerspaces] National Fab Lab Network Act of 2010 (111-HR6003)

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 23:06:49 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Jesse Krembs <jfk at 893studio.com> wrote:
> I 've spent some time in the MIT fablab and difference between them and a hackerspace is pretty small. Both Neil
> and Amy Sun are easy to talk to and easy to find.

I'm all for fab-labs (gov't or Uni funded) or tech shops (for profit)
but my heart is in hackerspaces. Partially, because they are a lower
bar to entry, as a member or creator, much like Open Source software,
vs reasonably costing proprietary software.

As hackers, people tend to be hands on, and often when things get tied
to existing institutions, the ability to get involved, have a say, fix
problems you see, become harder.

IHMO, it would be both awesome and sad if there was a 'Kinkos' of
hackerpsaces (which I think Tech Shop wanted to do in the 90's).
Awesome on lowering the bar to innovation, play, and design.  Not so
awesome to opening up systems to getting into the guts, and improving
them.

hack on,
- Far McKon

http://www.Hive76.org  "Making things awesome,  making awesome things!"