[hackerspaces] moar mate

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Sun Sep 12 20:03:42 CEST 2010

On 2010-09-12 19:19, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 6:36 PM, webmind <webmind at puscii.nl> wrote:
>>
>> On 2010-09-12 18:21, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding Club-Mate, there is a kind of paradox in all the hackerspaces.
>>> Club-Mate is the default drink available at any hackerspace around the
>>> world but I haven't seen too much hacking around it (except an article in
>>> Makezine/2010).
>>
>> Well, there has been some creativity with recipes and club-mate. Besides
>> the usual cocktails there are also club-mate pancakes. I'm sure there
>> are more recipes possible. food-hacking ftw :)
>>
>>> The main plant extract in Club-Mate is the "Ilex paraguariensis" (common name:
>>> Yerba mate) and the main active components are : theobromine
>>> (well-known to the chocolate fan), caffeine (everyone knows) and
>>> dimethylxanthine (the increase of heart pulsation is mainly due to
>>> that component).
>>
>> do you have source of what these xantheines do to you? I haven't been
>> able to find any reliable information besides that they have an impact
>> on the regulation of hormones (such as adrenaline).
>
> The methylxanthines-derivative were well-known components used for
> asthma treatment
> (now replaced with other drugs) and you can find a lot of publication
> on the side-effects.
>
> I think the main publication in the area is :
>
> http://circres.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/30/4/367.pdf
>
> "Influence of Caffeine and Other Methylxanthines on Mechanical
> Properties of Isolated Mammalian Heart Muscle"
>
> and all the publications mentioning the side-effects of asthma
> treatment using methylxanthine. I assume that Club-Mate/Ilex extract
> includes multiple
> derivative of methylxanthines as the xanthine is a very general
> group... and usually
> some plants could do the synthesis of multiple variations (as the
> theomobromine or the caffeine are already variation of the xanthine
> group).
>
> It seems only a specific sub-species of the Ilex contains multiple
> methyxanthines:
>
> http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0103-50531999000600004&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en
>
>>> The plant cultivation needs specific condition to grow properly but
>>> maybe there are some opportunities of gardening hacking? Can
>>> we grow easily "Yerba Mate" in pot inside? or even outside in
>>> continental weather condition? What are the ways of extraction/brewing
>>> and how can we properly measure the active components inside?
>>
>> Good questions! The loscher people keep their methods secret, but I do
>> recall hearing about open-source recipes.
>
> I would be very interested to hear about free-production method for the
> Yerba Mate and how the extraction is efficiently performed.
>
> This sounds to be a nice hacking project.

Well, loscher did admit it is atleast partially a brewing process, did
would also make sense due to the fact that club-mate improves over time.
How this would work in detail, no idea.

something else, I heard someone (forgot who), that there is a similar
product to club-mate available in canada, anyone know more?

w.

- --
GPG-Key: 4096R/FCF154AE 2008-10-19 [expires: 2012-10-18]
Key fingerprint: 0506 976E 2346 53B4 A628  EC33 E23D 16EE FCF1 54AE
Key URL: https://hosting.puscii.nl/~webmind/webmind.asc