[hackerspaces] CCHits - an automated Podcasting Project

Jon Spriggs jon at sprig.gs
Mon Nov 22 22:09:36 CET 2010

Hi All,

A few months back, I was talking to a few of you about an idea for a
podcast that I'd had. The podcast was designed for a few separate
purposes:

1) It showcases great Creative Commons licensed music tracks, giving
favour to tracks preferred by the audience.
2) It's a programming project, to see how easy (or hard!) it is to
create an automatically produced podcast.
3) Once a few tracks have been added, it should be possible for public
spaces (such as, oh... I dunno, maybe a hackerspace?) to download a
long series of tracks (maybe listed in hours - like "8 hours of
Creative Commons, Family Safe Music" or "24 hours of music, including
non-family-friendly music") to provide background music for the
venues, without (theoretically) requiring a PRS or PPL license.
4) It encourages existing podcasts to play Creative Commons licensed
tracks and get feedback from their audience on which tracks are
enjoyed by their listeners.

For those of you who might like to hear some Creative Commons music,
the site is:

                     http://cchits.net

For those of you who are artists that release your music under
Creative Commons, or if you're a podcaster, and play Creative Commons
tracks as a part of that, please feel free to give me a shout about
making the tracks you play available through the site with links back
to your shows:

                    email: show at cchits.net (currently just an alias
for jon at sprig.gs but in time this may change)

For those of you who might be interested in how it all hangs together,
details on where to get the code and how to use the comprehensive API
is available from:

                    http://cchits.net/about/

Please feel free to forward this e-mail on to anyone you think might
be interested in this project.
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs