[hackerspaces] Pricing a class for a hackerspace

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 04:09:30 CET 2010

> Do the teachers usually get to take home any of the income?

What I posted was a basic 'break even' class, most teachers/members
that want to make some money need to price higher.   At Hive we don't
let members take money home, but in discussion about
events/projects/buying stuff, it often comes up in giving someone some
cred when they ask to spend money. Such as "we should buy more plastic
for the makerbot, my classes make some money, so I think it's fair
that the space pays for the plastic"

When we do projects for pay, Hive (your space may vary) has done 3 ways;
1) Hive orders parts on our account, takes the money, and splits the
'income' 50/50 after the class ends
2) We agree up front for a per-student 'teachers take'
3) we agree to a flat fee (if the class has more than 8 attendees).

But, that is just us, and we just elected our first "Events
Coordinator", so we're open to other ideas, and might change how we do
our classes/events/workshops.

> On a similar note, do any of you folks rent out part of your spaces? How
> have you decided on how much that would cost?

Renting out space to people that have not 'bought in' into the idea
can be trouble, it often just ends up with a (legitmate) conflict of
goals, and no one being happy.
Hive has a couple of members that pay extra for a private desk ($30ish
extra) to work off of. However they are still members, with all
rights/responsibility of membership.

That is just one space though, YMMV, other might have better plans, etc.

Hope that helps. hack on,
- Far

http://www.Hive76.org  "Making things awesome,  making awesome things!"
http://www.FarMcKon.net "Creatively Maladjusted"