[hackerspaces] Pricing a class for a hackerspace

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 04:14:35 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM, john arclight <arclight at gmail.com> wrote:

> We've been kicking around the idea of doing a mandatory safety orientation
> for new folks. Make it a one-time $20, but let whoever teaches it pocket $15
> since nobody wants to drop everything to break someone in.

Just to share a different way of solving the same problem:
At Hive76 we ask for people to get a sponsor to help them when they
join. If no one knows the person good enough they'd be happy to
sponsor them, then they can just show up to meetings for a month or
two, and get to know folks.  The, the sponsor (ie, whoever they know
best) give them the physical walk through, and help make sure each
officer (CTO, Secretary, Treasurer, Instigator) each do the 2-3 things
it takes to get accounts set up, membership billing working, explain
how to use the space, etc.

Around here social cred and getting you friend setup A-OK seems to be
more of a motive than $15.

hack on.
- Far McKon