[hackerspaces] Now I am totally depressed...

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 19:14:58 CET 2010

To be fair, I agree that what is taught in schools is the result of what
parents/employers/government asked for.  Nobody is going to hire me for my
blacksmithing skills, but I do have to know MS Word.  The basic problems
with our educational system (poor focus, stigmatizing the trades, everyone
is going to be a manager, etc) are another whole discussion.

I think the aging of the "computer hacker" population and the general
decline in knowledge of how things work has to do with the fact that we have
an incredible array of ready-to-use products around us that don't require
any fiddling.  Computers used to demand a higher level of competence from
users because they were fragile and difficult to use.

Combined with our society as a whole becoming more risk-averse and
specialized, and I think it's inevitable that "hands on" work is less
popular than it once was.

Arclight