[hackerspaces] Hackerspace business plan

Adam D Bachman adam.bachman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 16:57:22 CEST 2010

I was going to give a quick one-liner like Jens' "are the bills payable?",
mostly because that's how we did it at the Node, but I think Punkin's
suggestion is a winner.

If folks want a business plan because, "businesses have business plans, QED"
then forget it. You'd be better going it alone, you're not going to catch a
break because they're not supporters, they're haters. But if they have very
specific questions and answering those questions will be valuable to you, if
would be a good exercise to answer them.

At the Node (http://baltimorenode.org) our plan looked something like an
answer to, "what will it take to survive for six months". It was very
helpful to write down how I thought this would work (
http://wiki.baltimorenode.org/index.php?title=Version_Zero) but the only
real purpose of the document was as a starting place for discussion and a
limit to the very vague, bike-sheddy, non-helpful side discussions that were
happening during our formation.

The discussion is ongoing and we've been in business for almost a year (one
year next week), so it has worked for us. "When needs arise, we will meet
them" is always enough of a business plan for a roomful of creative folks.
Whatever gets you from "here we are" to "we are doing things" fastest (
http://baltimoreprintstudios.com/2010/05/strategic-plan-posters-are-back/).

I'm curious what you expect your relationship to investors to be? Are you
going the for-profit root with actual shares and returns and all that, or
are you a non-profit and they're actually donors? Donors don't get a say in
how their money is spent, members are part of creating the business, so a
"business plan" (talking about what you're going to do) makes less sense
than just doing it.

- Adam