[hackerspaces] Hackerspace business plan

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 17:09:18 CEST 2010

Hive76 took the planning model a lot of cooperative housing and studios take.

1) Membership should pay the bills, + 5-10% extra to slowly accumulate
for damage, improvements, and emergencies.

2) By 6 months, you should have 3 months of 'reserve cash' to pay
bills. IE, if everyone gets hit by a meteor,
there should be cash on hand for 3 momths of operation. You should
always have that reserve, and if you use it.
refill it before spending other 'emergency' cash.

3) Lights and Rent should be covered by membership. New
projects/equipment by pledge drives or net income classes.

The above is a very common model of housing cooperatives, and shared
workspaces, and has worked very well.  That said, Hive76 has barely
made those goals. But they are do-able goals, and easy to explain and
agree on.

hack on,
- Far McKon

http://www.Hive76.org  "Making things awesome,  making awesome things!"