[hackerspaces] Hackerspace business plan

punkin3.14 punkin at mag3.14159.ca
Mon Jun 28 16:19:16 CEST 2010

On 10-06-28 9:49 AM, Chris Hardee wrote:
> We're starting up a space here in San Antonio, TX and I've been asked by
> sponsors and members for a business plan. I've been working on one but
> is there a skeleton plan or something I can base this off of? Any tips
> or experience anyone can share about writing one? Thanks

To be frank, most "business plans" aren't worth the paper they're
printed on. But since you are being asked to provide one by people with
a real or potential stake in what you're doing, its important to
understand what specifically they want to see before they'll be willing
to invest. Any business plan you draft needs to address whatever
specific question your sponsors and members have. The most valuable
thing you can do at this point is make sure you know what those
questions are.

At KwartzLab, we held a very long conversation with our potential
membership regarding what they expected from the venture -- both what
they wanted in terms of community and resources, and what they needed in
terms of financial stability. From this, we were able to draft a vision
statement, a governance model, and a budget for the space. Because we
knew how many people would be signing up on day one, we were also able
to draft reasonably accurate financial projections. We didn't package
this up as a business plan per se, but its the sort of thing you'll want
to include.

If your sponsors are interested in knowing how you plan on growing your
numbers, you may also want to include a section on the sort of marketing
or outreach you have done so far and have planned for the future, how
successful its been, and what growth you anticipate for the coming year.

--

     |\___/|   Punkin3.14
     )     (
     |     |            und watschen der blinkenlichten
    /       \
    \       /