[hackerspaces] Survey study about members of different hackerspaces

jm60697 Jarkko.Moilanen at uta.fi
Wed Jun 23 11:27:57 CEST 2010

Hi,

I would be interested about conducting a survey research among the
members of different hackerspaces. The survey would be web-based and
informants of the survey would be all hackers in various hackerspaces
around the world.

The research would use statistical approach. The aim of the survey
would be to find answers or at least some hints to following topics:

1. What is the members' age, gender, geoghaphical location, for how
long has been a member of some hackerspace, etc...These factors would
be used as background information and possibly as classification
(control factors) in analysis.

2. Different roles of members. Is there similar onion-type structure
which can be found from FOSS-communities? Of course some members could
have multiple roles.

3. Motivation to participate. What are the motivations to participate?
Is there similar model of motivation which has been found in FOSS
communities?
(http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1623/1538)

The above topic list definitely needs more thought and time, but those
where the topics that came to my mind while writing my current thesis
(about hacktivism) and this research is not included in it. The idea
for this came just out of curiosity.

The survey would not be too hard to implement. Most (if not all) of
the questions would be kind of predefined dropdown selection with an
opportunity to add possibly missing option.

The results would probably give some empirically proven hints about
the larger hackerspace community. The data of the survey and the
results could also be used as a ground to write a short paper in some
publication. I think that some publications would be interested about
this kind of research. But I might be wrong...

I would be delighted if some others would be interested about doing
this research with me. Anyone? Doing things alone is less fun than
with others. Feel free to approach me through the list or directly off
the list.

Obviously this list would be suitable to find a significant amount of
informants, but not all. Any suggestions to find the rest of the
hackerspaces which are not listed in hackerspaces.org or whose members
are not on this list? Any feedback or ideas about this are most welcome.

cheers, yet-another-researcher Jarkko

P.S. The above might seem inadequately iterated or formulated without
any depth, but I just got so exited about this so I had to post it as
soon as possible.

  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
  Founder of Hackerspace 5w, Finland, Tampere - 5w.fi